Cuil Theory

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Bloopy
Regular

Cuil Theory

Post by Bloopy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:44 am

Xinos wrote:I saw the video on Cuil Theory and thought about our vending machine. I think it only operates at one cuil most of the time.
Anyway it's well written.
http://cuiltheory.wikidot.com
One Cuil, denoted by the Interrobang symbol (‽) is equal to One Level of Abstraction or Surreality away from the reality of a situation.

A complex scale of Cuils exists, with Positive Cuils (‽) representing Surreality and Negative Cuils (-‽) representing hyper-reality.
The example presented in the video isn't particularly satisfying. I don't see why it has to get so long-winded and random. I mean, the first two are fine, eg.

∅ You order and receive a hamburger
∅ You order a raccoon and receive a raccoon

‽ You order a hamburger, and the attendant turns into a hamburger
‽ You order a hamburger, but receive a raccoon

‽‽ You order a hamburger, and the attendant is replaced with a picture of a hamburger
‽‽ You order a hamburger, but receive a picture of a racoon

The 3 Cuils example is where it falls down. Arguably it works out to 0 Cuils! Because it only seems like 2 abstractions, and awakening from a dream could actually be a negative Cuil:

−‽ You awaken from a dream about ordering a hamburger

∅ You order and receive a hamburger
∅ You awaken from a dream about ordering a hamburger, only to find that you are a hamburger

‽ You order a hamburger, but turn into a hamburger instead

This astonishing result is actually perfectly normal, assuming hamburgers dream. :P Actually, now that I think about it... if a person turning into a hamburger is a Cuil, does that necessarily mean a hamburger turning into a person is a negative Cuil? I'm gonna go with yes. Same deal if there's a burger bar where in reality you actually can order a hamburger and receive a raccoon. Making that order and receiving a hamburger would be a negative Cuil. There's some interesting stuff on Wikipedia's Hyperreality article.

Pick your own scenarios and see where they go!?
x_+

Xinos
Regular

Re: Cuil Theory

Post by Xinos » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:53 pm

I can totally imagine a Rick and Morty episode on this subject.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:32 am

x_+

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:08 pm

I'm positively spooked out!