A New SSB!

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Zeor
Senior

A New SSB!

Post by Zeor » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:33 am

Nintendo says that one of the Revolution launch titles will be the next Super Smash Bros.

So who/what would you like to see?

I, personally, think Meta-Knight of Kirby fame is long overdue for an appearance. I'd love to play as him.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

MonkeyforaHead

Post by MonkeyforaHead » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:06 am

I hear Kid Icarus almost got into SSBM as a playable character, but frankly I don't like him enough to care if he gets in this one or not. Wario NEEDS to be in (preferably with the suit he uses for the Wario Ware games as one of the alternate outfits). I mean, they used Dr. Mario alongside regular Mario, for pete's sake. Frankly he should be replaced by Wario.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

FW
Former Staffmember

Post by FW » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:38 pm

I'll like to see Wario, he is my favorite Nintendo character. But for Wario's moves, I hope Nintendo doesn't copy Mario's moves, you know as a clone. I'll like to see Wario's Warioworld moves, you know the Piledriver (Wrestling move), The Corkscrew Conk (Wario rotates forward), and the Wild Swing-Ding (grab foe and spin him)

I really do hope Nintendo adds Wario. :D

Being Wario will be my Signature character.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:53 pm

Yeah, I'd like to see Wario, and maybe Waluigi as an unlockable. Perhaps King Dedede as well? And I reckon Luigi should have his Poltergust, too, otherwise he's a bit of a Mario clone...
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:01 pm

i myself would like it so u had to fight the occasional boss from other nintendo games in an adventure mode. just having an oversized bowser doesn't work for me. bosses like ridly from metroid, or ganon from zelda would be nice, just for adventure mode

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:12 pm

Ah, Waluigi might be cool. I was disgusted when I first heard of his existance (A Luigi parallel for Wario?! Good gravy, what next?!) but once I played Double Dash, I grew to like him.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Blinx

Post by Blinx » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:41 pm

I remeber Mario Tennis. That fuck!ng rocked.
"I never think of the future - it comes soon enough." - Albert Einstein

Ben and Liam eat incontinent fish.

MonkeyforaHead

Post by MonkeyforaHead » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:27 pm

I never disliked Waluigi, I only disliked his name at first. There's actually a rather interesting story behind that. Ever noticed what the inverted L on his hat looks like? A lowercase "R". For all reasonable means, they'd have called him "Ruigi" -- except since there's no difference between L and R in the Japanese language, that would have caused all kinds of chaos. So they called him Waluigi instead, and the title stuck for his localization.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:32 pm

MonkeyforaHead wrote:I never disliked Waluigi, I only disliked his name at first. There's actually a rather interesting story behind that. Ever noticed what the inverted L on his hat looks like? A lowercase "R". For all reasonable means, they'd have called him "Ruigi" -- except since there's no difference between L and R in the Japanese language, that would have caused all kinds of chaos. So they called him Waluigi instead, and the title stuck for his localization.
The upside-down L looks like an upside-down L to me.

I remember reading in Nintendo Power around his debut that said his name was a variant on the Japanese "igiwalui" or something like that, which means a foolish person or something.

But I dunno about that.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:52 am

I read that somewhere. Kind of amusing if it is a really clever pun in Japanese, and becomes a really crap name when told to an English speaker. Ho-hum, such is life...

I want a Shy Guy character in the next SSB. I can't imagine what good he'd be, but Shy Guys are the greatest bad guys ever invented by anything ever (apart from Daleks, of course), and after finishing Yoshi's Island three times and losing Mario Tennis to the forces of no-longer-owning-an-N64, I just can't get a fix of them.

Alex
Settled in

Post by Alex » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:13 am

"Waluigi's name has a dual-meaning in Japanese. The Japanese word "warui" (悪い) means "bad" or "evil". This means that Waluigi's name is a portmanteau of warui and Luigi (the Japanese R sound is in-between the English L and R sounds, and is an L in some Romaji systems), and essentially means "Evil Luigi". Eviluigi or Maluigi might be appropriate one-word translations of the name."

"Also Waluigi is an anagram of "igiwalu". This is the Japanese word for mean-spirited (usually spelled "ijiwaru")."

^^ CURSE YOU PHPBB!

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:21 am

Maluigi sounds like some hideous inbred lovechild. Can't have that.

Phillby4000

Post by Phillby4000 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:56 pm

I'd like to play as a gannondorf who doesn't have the same move-set as captain falcon. And more Donkey-Kong characters, infact why not stick some more Rare characters in there at the same time. I'd love to play as banjo and kazooie. More Items! More modes! More characters! More trophys!

Jigglypuff should be just as useless! Ness's up-and-B move should cause me just as many embarasing deaths!

It'd also be cool if you could duel properly with the beam swords.

i'd also like to see Yoshi's egg roll move gone.

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:10 pm

i hate the duplicated moves

gannondorf = a powerful cpt falcon

young link = a smaller link

dr mario = mario

falco = fox

roy = a powerful marth

pichu = a crap pikachu

it get's depressing

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:40 pm

Phillby4000 wrote:I'd like to play as a gannondorf who doesn't have the same move-set as captain falcon. And more Donkey-Kong characters, infact why not stick some more Rare characters in there at the same time.
Could be a problem; Microsoft own the controlling slice of Rare now.

There should be a landscape which is a Tetris game, and blocks fall from the sky and if you're under them when they land you incur damage.

Phillby4000

Post by Phillby4000 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:46 pm

AndrewTaylor wrote:
Phillby4000 wrote:I'd like to play as a gannondorf who doesn't have the same move-set as captain falcon. And more Donkey-Kong characters, infact why not stick some more Rare characters in there at the same time.
Could be a problem; Microsoft own the controlling slice of Rare now.

There should be a landscape which is a Tetris game, and blocks fall from the sky and if you're under them when they land you incur damage.
Stop shattering my dreams.

That tetris level would be evil. Blocks falling on and dissapearing beneath you. :shock:

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:47 pm

Not much more evil than Big Blue.

Not a complaint; I love that stage.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:22 pm

Or that one with the Pokemon cycling through it, or the Mario 64 one you have to keep up with...

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:50 pm

brinstar depths was the best one i think, the rotating land mass was great, but i felt the low polygon kraid ruined it a bit

rainbow ride isn't evil, or big blue. the scrolling actions make it easier to knock out the opponants, no matter how high their level is.

i think a tetris style level would be very interesting, but i can see another repetitive loop coming along

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:23 pm

Alien King wrote:rainbow ride isn't evil, or big blue. the scrolling actions make it easier to knock out the opponants, no matter how high their level is.
Big Blue is evil in a good way.

Rainbow Ride kinda sucks.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!