A New SSB!

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Plasma

Re: A New SSB!

Post by Plasma » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:52 pm

I was going to post a thread for the new SSB, but I see Zeor beat me to it by about 8 years. Damn.

So... thoughts? Predictions?

I expect Mewtwo to return again, because of his re-appearance as a significant character in the Pokémon franchise (along with a new form, most likely two). But after that, I don't have any predictions. Little Mac will probably re-appear simply because he should really re-appear. And maybe a Golden Sun or Advance Wars character too. But after that, I haven't any guesses.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:58 pm

So far I'm meh excited for it. The Villager from animal crossing looks pretty neat though, among other things. (I really wish Tom Nook made it in, I would have immensely enjoyed beating him up.)

What I'm really hoping for is a new game changing feature as well as Sonic and other Sonic Characters (Tails, knuckles, eggman, etc.)

Also *cough*Boggy B. needs to be in it*cough*

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Mega Man in SSB is pretty much the greatest possible thing for me.

I'm also pretty jazzed that it's coming out for the 3DS (finally a portable version) so I won't have to bother with a Wii U.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

MtlAngelus
Settled in

Post by MtlAngelus » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:37 pm

I would like to see Snake return, he was my favorite character on Brawl. I doubt it'll happen tho. :c

I'm also crossing my fingers for Quote from Cavestory. I mean, the game has been re-released like a dozen times on Nintendo platforms, so it would make sense. :p

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:25 pm

I'm wondering if Mega Man's B attack will work just like the actual regular old Mega Buster. Which is to say, tap to fire, hold to charge. Every other character with a charge shot attack can just walk around with a full charge waiting to go at the tap of a button, so it would kinda be trading that feature for the ability to charge while moving.

His Up+B appears to be the Shoryuken, which is actually also a sort of interesting landmark if you're a giant nerd and/or fan of Used-To-Be-Good Capcom like me. Makes sense because Mega Man used it in at least one of the Power Fighters/Power Battles arcade games.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Akuryou13
Settled in

Post by Akuryou13 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Zeor wrote:I'm wondering if Mega Man's B attack will work just like the actual regular old Mega Buster. Which is to say, tap to fire, hold to charge. Every other character with a charge shot attack can just walk around with a full charge waiting to go at the tap of a button, so it would kinda be trading that feature for the ability to charge while moving.
Actually, mega man's buster is his normal A attack, and his charged shot is the smash attack. Still not sure how THAT'S going to work out, but yeah. His B attack seems to be Metal Blades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IVo#t=229s

MtlAngelus
Settled in

Post by MtlAngelus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 am

I made this.

On Miiverse.

It took forever. I hope Sakurai sees it and realizes that Big Boss must be in the nest Smash. 8-)

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:19 am

Akuryou13 wrote:Actually, mega man's buster is his normal A attack, and his charged shot is the smash attack. Still not sure how THAT'S going to work out, but yeah. His B attack seems to be Metal Blades.

Hhhhhuh. I expected Down+B to be a master weapon switch and side+B to be to use the active one or something. That's different. Different might be good.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Akuryou13
Settled in

Post by Akuryou13 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 am

Zeor wrote:
Akuryou13 wrote:Actually, mega man's buster is his normal A attack, and his charged shot is the smash attack. Still not sure how THAT'S going to work out, but yeah. His B attack seems to be Metal Blades.

Hhhhhuh. I expected Down+B to be a master weapon switch and side+B to be to use the active one or something. That's different. Different might be good.
Yeah, I was originally expecting the same sort of master switch, but after the initial trailer it stopped making sense that that would be the case.

I'm figuring that since each robot master only gives one weapon, they just decided to assign the most iconic weapons to individual moves. A bit odd, but I assume they play-tested other methods. Should be interesting to see the final result, particularly since even his A moves are largely bullet-based.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:38 am

Yeah, would have been kind of nuts to cycle through that many master weapons with one input. Makes sense that they'd have to break convention a bit to fit all those moves in. Also I guess his Up+B is actually the Rush Coil, which makes some sense. Wonder if the Totally Not The Actual Shoryuken Because We Gave It A Robot Name is his up smash or something, which would definitely be pretty different. One thing still giving me pause is not only that both the Slash Claw and Flame Sword are both represented when they were virtually the same thing, but that even in SSB they're apparently both midair moves? Weird.

Man, whatever happens, I'm still stoked as hell. Those animations of his hands transforming into the Busters? Those were almost never handled inside his native franchise. They are badass. Basically Mega Man is already set up to make a better showing in SSB than he did in many of his own games. Which is because SSB fricking rules.

Edit: By the way, Angelus: Awesome.

Also here's something else to think about. I'm excited for the 3DS release because I don't have a WiiU nor any immediate plans to get one, even if my version will be less pretty but apparently include a neat cel shade outline effect. Thing is, I'm wondering about controls. All the right buttons are there, but normal SSB play involves a lot of strenuous stick smashing that might not translate well to the operation or health of the 3DS' analogue pad. Previous installments have let you do smash attacks using the right stick, so maybe the 3DS one will let you use the control pad for them or something.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Akuryou13
Settled in

Post by Akuryou13 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:24 am

Zeor wrote:Wonder if the Totally Not The Actual Shoryuken Because We Gave It A Robot Name is his up smash or something, which would definitely be pretty different.
Yeah, if Rush Coil is his Up B, which that video basically confirms, it leaves me wondering about the not-shoryuken as well. Up A makes sense in that it's the only other place it could go, but.... that's just such an odd move for that button, compared to all the other players... Then again, his normal A seems to be a ranged attack, which is also pretty freakin weird, so who knows?
Zeor wrote:One thing still giving me pause is not only that both the Slash Claw and Flame Sword are both represented when they were virtually the same thing, but that even in SSB they're apparently both midair moves? Weird.
I'm wondering if those aren't just attack and smash of the same button combination. One simply being a more powerful version of the other, since the mechanic seems to be identical....?

MtlAngelus
Settled in

Post by MtlAngelus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:41 am

Aaand another one.

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Gabe's more powerful attacks would have him randomly hold a crowbar or a keyboard, and his B+Up would give him jetpack shooting out a stream of cash as it propels him.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:19 am

Down+B causes him to don one of several hundred possible hats which modify his stats in various ways.

Also, hold down B to not finish HL3!

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:04 am

Guys! They've released a new screenshot, showing off their latest character, Boggy B. which is totally not a one minute photoshop job!

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:13 am

i hope all of his moves are grenades

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:57 am

I've been telling people the Bazooka in SSBB is from Worms, and people generally believe me.

Then I laugh at them behind their backs.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.