WMapEditor - the very eary version.

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

K^2
Regular

WMapEditor - the very eary version.

Post by K^2 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:38 am

No bells or whistles. The user friendliness on scale from 1 to 10 is some negative number. Practically no graphical user interface. Everything is done through keyboard shortcuts. No texture support. No undo. Very clutsy import/export. But it works. Can you make descent looking maps with this editor? Yes. Like the ones T17 makes? Almost. In a reasonable ammount of time? Definetly not. You are likely to spit, swear, and call me bad names if you try to make a really playable map with this editor.

So why am I putting it up in such incomplete form? Several reasons:
1) This should catch attention of a lot more people than anything else I have previously put up.
2) I'm not sure when I'll have more time to work on it, and I know how much some people hate to wait.
3) I want to know lack of which features is driving people up the wall more than others, so I can work on these things first.
4) I would like to get some input on what people would like the GUI to be like. Also, if someone wants to draw buttons and such, deisgn the nenus, et cetera, let me know.

Most of the usefull (hopefully) instructions are in ReadMe.txt. Read it. If something is confusing, I'll try to clarify. There is no tool for adding maps into the map list yet, so you still would have to replace one of the maps in the maps directory of Worms3D to make it work. Make sure that you back up the map you are replacing, and also, if you still play on-line, make sure that you put the replaced maps back before going worm-netting. I'm not sure what will happen if you try to join the game that uses the map that you've replaced, but it is likely to crash the game for you and everyone else who joined. So be carefull with that.

Edit: V0.2 is in the works. I allready have a very nice import/export/copy system set up, which makes it easy to grab objects from different maps and use them in others, and I am currently working on a simple, no-keyboard-shortcuts system for editing the lattices and poxels.

Edit: Be advised that a better version is now available in this thread:
http://dream17.abime.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=339

[Edit by S-2K] Again, this project is not endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17.
Attachments
WMapEditor.zip
(65.64 KiB) Downloaded 35679 times
Last edited by K^2 on Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

OldSkoolCrazy

Post by OldSkoolCrazy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:51 am

Very neat. Can't use it very well, but it sure is quite a start. I guess there'll be an editor after all.:)
Best Turnbased: Worms (whole series)
Best FPS: Half-Life (whole series)
Best 3rd Person Shooter: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Best Adventure: Uru: Ages Beyond Myst
Best RTS: Startcraft
Best Simulation: The Sims 2
Best RPG: Guild Wars

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:10 am

Just spoted a bug. You can take a map, append it to another map, save it, and it works fine. But if you attempt to append this hybrid map to another map, saving operation crashes the editor. This is not good, because the whole thing depends on the user's ability to work on just a few lattices at a time.

I'll try to fix it and upload a fixed version with a few additional features.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:57 am

i'm very pleased to see an editor finally come into existance. even if it is incomplete and near impossible to use.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:42 am

Is it possible to delete a lattice from the lattice tree?

If I manage to make anything worth seeing with this, I'll show it off. :P

I'm not too sure what kind of features and things would be useful since I don't know much about this stuff.
x_+

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:52 am

Right now you can't delete lattices. I was going to code in the delete function, but then I realized how much trouble it is and descided to do it later.

I fixed the bug I mentioned earlier, though. Wasn't anything serious. I still need to add a few things before uploading a new version.

Fish Fanatic

Post by Fish Fanatic » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:11 am

That's amazing. I made a chair, but I forgot to save it. (it wasn't worth posting anyways)

My biggest problem with it is that it's hard to resize something to the value I want by using keys. If I want to make the chair leg 8 units high, I'd like to be able to input "8" or something rather than settle for 7.8999999 because I can't get it any closer because it moves so fast.

How do you make cylinders with it? I can't figure out how to make a prism with more than 4 sides.

It's amazing though - good job!

(This is SomePerson by the way, if you hadn't figured it out)
I'm known as "SomePerson" on the Team17 forum...

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:27 pm

Fish Fanatic wrote:That's amazing. I made a chair, but I forgot to save it. (it wasn't worth posting anyways)
how did you manage that!?

i havn't worked out what half the things actually do yet

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:16 pm

I haven't done much with it yet, but what I did find was that if I added a lattice it seemed to be infinitely tall. I tried a quick edit on a simple existing map instead, but still haven't got around to making something worth posting. :)
x_+

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:50 am

Fish Fanatic wrote:How do you make cylinders with it? I can't figure out how to make a prism with more than 4 sides.
All lattices are 4 sided prisms. If you want to make a cilinder, the best you can do is construct it out of several bent sections. You make a bent section by first making a pyramid by adjusting the layers and then adding curvature using height mapping. Same goes for spheres, by the way. It is very difficult to do by hand, so I'm planning to add some functionality to do this automatically, like it seems to be done by the editor that T17 uses.
Bloopy wrote:I haven't done much with it yet, but what I did find was that if I added a lattice it seemed to be infinitely tall.
That is odd. I'll take a look at the code to see if there is a memory leak somewhere that might be causing that.

MtlAngelus
Settled in

Post by MtlAngelus » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:04 pm

Good job! I'll try to make something with it as soon as I figure out how to do so.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:45 am

K^2 wrote:That is odd. I'll take a look at the code to see if there is a memory leak somewhere that might be causing that.
I think it was my lack of understanding with using the thing that was causing it.

I started with a new lattice, held P and pressed Up arrow to change the lattice to 1x1x2, but I let go of P and then pressed U. I assume the correct way is to update the lattice before updating the mesh?
x_+

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:31 pm

Yes. That might have done it. When you hold P and change number of poxels in the lattice, the number of poxels doesn't REALLY change untill you update the lattice (P+U). If you try, then, to update the mesh (U), you'll cause an overflow which will result in triangles being generated from a random place in RAM, which would explain them being infinitly tall.

I really need to make a less confusing way of running all that. I'm planning to work on GUI within next couple of weeks, so hopefully, there will be a good, almost user-friendly editor before September.

Gran_PC

Post by Gran_PC » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:49 pm

oh god
Last edited by Gran_PC on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:44 pm

You need to drag a .XOM file onto the executeable, apparently. Try that.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:04 pm

Or you can just assign .XOM files to the executable by selecting it when the Open With window pops up.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Gran_PC

Post by Gran_PC » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:04 pm

fff
Last edited by Gran_PC on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonickfd

Post by sonickfd » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:23 am

Firstly:Will this work with Worms 4 Mayhem as well?
Secondly:I cant figure out the camera system...Which key goes which direction?

If i knew how to not Lose sight of my pieces i might be able to make something :roll:
Boggy B #3

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:04 am

I belive, arrow keys rotate the camera and ESDF+WR move it arround. I'm still working on a new version which will have a mouse based interface, ability to have multiple files loaded, and whatever other nifty things I'll get to.

Edit: I still don't know if it works with W4. I don't have W4 myself, so I can't test it. In theory, it should, because the formats seem to be the same, but it's unconfirmed either way. I will probably get W4 at some point, and then I'll make sure that it's directly supported.

_Kilburn
Settled in

Post by _Kilburn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:04 am

(4 months later....)

Are you still working on this project? In which language did you build this program? I find it very interesting because I always wanted to play on weird maps. I made a chair with it, and I'd like to make a Menger sponge (what a Menger sponge is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menger_sponge ).
And if you abandon the project, could you at least give me the source code, or just some explanations? I'm programming a W4 tweaking tool using Qt 4 C++ library.

And btw, how do you find my chair? :P It works very well on Worms 4, just change the file extension.