Worms 4 Speech Bank Editing

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

K^2
Regular

Worms 4 Speech Bank Editing

Post by K^2 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:00 pm

Does what it says on the box.
Read the README.TXT. If you have any questions, post'em.

As allways, this program has nothing to do with Dream17.

Important: Almost forgot. When editing .wav files, make sure to save them at 16kHz. Otherwise, they will sound funny.

Known Bugs:
Some of the sound banks seem to cause a crash. Since I only have the demo, I cannot fully analyze the cause of this problem. I'll try to fix this as soon as I can, which, unfortunately, is unlikely to happen before I get the full game.

Edit: Music extractor is now available a bit further down the page.
Attachments
W4SBEdit.zip
(32.29 KiB) Downloaded 2083 times
Last edited by K^2 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Cyclaws
Former Staffmember

Post by Cyclaws » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:43 am

Sure. And some free Dream17 advertising, too. ;)
Webmaster of WormsTournaments: http://www.wormstournaments.co.uk
Creator of my blog: http://www.kevinstreetonline.com
Worms Corrispondent for Dream17: cyclaws@dream17.info

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:49 am

Our lord saviour to the rescue once again! :D

Can we add new soundbanks to the full game or does that require something else to be changed?
x_+

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:20 pm

To actually add a bank, yes, I believe, something else needs to be changed. I'll look into it.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

skitzofraen

Post by skitzofraen » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:21 pm

Is there any way to add your own sounds to worms 4?? I would like to have a qoute of arnie saying "ill be back" in the game.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:00 pm

That is kind of the point of this editor. You take the speach bank to which you want to add that quote, extract it, replace the wave file for the phrase that you want to be changed (For "I'll be back". you probably want one of the dying words.), and the compile the speach bank again.

Bladex

Post by Bladex » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:47 pm

does this actually let you add your own speech banks or do you have to overwrite the ones in the game? online will peeps hear your custom sounds?

Fish Fanatic

Post by Fish Fanatic » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:11 pm

No, you have to overwrite an existing speechbank. And online people won't hear your speechbank - they'll simply hear the speechbank you replaced. Unless, however, they replace the speechbank too. So it should be possible to put custom speechbanks on all your friends' computers and be able to hear those online, but only by your friends who replaced the speechbank.
I'm known as "SomePerson" on the Team17 forum...

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:36 am

Precisely. I was thinking of writing a tool that lets you add speech banks, but then I realized that it might cause some serious problems while playing on-line, and people will throw rotten tomatoes at me.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:56 am

K^2 wrote:Precisely. I was thinking of writing a tool that lets you add speech banks, but then I realized that it might cause some serious problems while playing on-line, and people will throw rotten tomatoes at me.
Then again, it might just revert to the default soundbank like it does on W2/WA/WWP. I think it's worth testing it privately to see if it does work.
x_+

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:29 am

I'll look for the .xom file that contains refferences to speach bank. If it will be simple enough to append another speach bank, I'll test it on the demo, and then agree with someone about an on-line test.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:20 am

Any chance you could make an extractor for the music? (Worms 4 Mayhem\data\Audio\WXSoundBanks\PC\mu*.sab)
I tried using the soundbank editor since they seem similar but it doesn't work, and the sound comes out a bit odd in an audio editor.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:59 pm

I can take a look.

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:14 pm

SupSuper wrote:Any chance you could make an extractor for the music? (Worms 4 Mayhem\data\Audio\WXSoundBanks\PC\mu*.sab)
I tried using the soundbank editor since they seem similar but it doesn't work, and the sound comes out a bit odd in an audio editor.
If you just want to extract it have you tried getting something like the CoolEdit demo and importing them as raw data?

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:03 pm

AndrewTaylor wrote:If you just want to extract it have you tried getting something like the CoolEdit demo and importing them as raw data?
SupSuper wrote:Any chance you could make an extractor for the music? (Worms 4 Mayhem\data\Audio\WXSoundBanks\PC\mu*.sab)
I suspect there's something vital for proper playback in the mu*.sob files.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:25 pm

I don't think there is anything vital in the .sob file. In speech banks, the only thing I fished out from .sob files is the names for each audio segment in .sab.

In speech banks, .sab files contain a normal WAVE data. In music banks, it seems, there are several channels, and instead of alternating bytes for each channel, like in WAVE, each channel runs in a continuous streams for a fraction of a second, then the next channel, etc. That causes playback problems if you try to import it as raw data. I'll try to figure out the length of these blocks and put together a .wav exporter.

Edit: At least it's not compressed. I remember what a nightmare it was to write a program to export some audio files compressed with ADPCM.

Edit2: Weird. There seem to be two tracks. One of them is audio, but the other is just noise. And I still can't get rid of the clicking in the audio track, but at least it sounds about right now. [I think I know why there is clicking.]

Edit3: And the final product, the W4 music extractor, by popular demand.
Attachments
muextract.zip
(15.89 KiB) Downloaded 926 times

lyllo

Post by lyllo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:55 pm

hello to everybody.
i've downloaded the sound editor.
met the crash problem trying to decompile some banks, but, choosing VOALIEN could decompile the bank.

i have saved 151 file in wav, and with widows sound editor i've rtesampled them at 16Khz.

i had no problem in recompiling them and overwrote the VOALIEN.sob and sab files.

when i treid to test them in the game the voices were so much acclereated i couldn't understand anything.
why does all my job have been corrupted even if i've followed all the steps?

thank you :(
Last edited by lyllo on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:50 pm

Is the file it freezes on original or replaced?

lyllo

Post by lyllo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:51 pm

K^2 wrote:Is the file it freezes on original or replaced?
sorry, i modified the old post to avoid messing up this thread.
i've solved the freezing problem, by manually saving to 16Khz directly using the sound editor in windows.

so the bank is completely recompiled without problems, but when i test the speech in the game everything is incompresible, since the voices are too fast.

can understand why since every wav file is already 16Khz sampled.

thank you.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:04 pm

I think it expects a stereo file. If you feed it a mono file, it will be played at 2x speed. Could that have been the problem?