editing the savegame.xom file?

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Bladex

editing the savegame.xom file?

Post by Bladex » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:44 am

i was wondering if it's possible to hack the savegmae file and enable all the locked stuff in it for worms 4? i've been experimenting but each time i change something the game reverts back to the original savegame file when you 1st start the game. any help would be appreciated.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:29 am

It is, of course, possible, but releasing a tool which would do that would defeat the purpose of playing through to unlock all the fun stuff.

And you are probably corrupting the file with your editing. Have you figured out the structure of a .xom file yet?
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Bladex

Post by Bladex » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:45 am

K^2 wrote:It is, of course, possible, but releasing a tool which would do that would defeat the purpose of playing through to unlock all the fun stuff.

And you are probably corrupting the file with your editing. Have you figured out the structure of a .xom file yet?
no i havn't got a clue. i noticed the stuff that's locked has LOCK next to it and the stuff that doesn't has nextD or something. i tried changing lock to nextD but it didn't work. i'm only trying to unlock the cyborg set i don't really want anything else. i would play through the story but i changed my team name and i didn't know when you do that it erases your story saved data!

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:10 pm

What would be great is a tool that lets you import and export custom schemes and weapons, so that you can download the schemes and weapons that people have exported and then plug them into your own SaveGame.xom

A utility that changes your team name and keeps your progress would be good too.
x_+

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:15 pm

Bloopy wrote:What would be great is a tool that lets you import and export custom schemes and weapons, so that you can download the schemes and weapons that people have exported and then plug them into your own SaveGame.xom

A utility that changes your team name and keeps your progress would be good too.
I'll look into that. Name changing utility should be fairly simple to write.
Bladex wrote:no i havn't got a clue. i noticed the stuff that's locked has LOCK next to it and the stuff that doesn't has nextD or something. i tried changing lock to nextD but it didn't work. i'm only trying to unlock the cyborg set i don't really want anything else. i would play through the story but i changed my team name and i didn't know when you do that it erases your story saved data!
That would be the cause of the error, then. "LOCK" and "nextD" have a different number of characters. The string list in the STRS chunk is very sensitive to these kinds of things.

Find the line, not far from beginning, which begins with STRS. It is right after the section that has all of the TYPE chunks. The first 4 bytes are the chunk ID, which are allways "STRS". Then there is a list of 32 bit integers. First one tells you the number of strings, second the total length of all strings, and the remaining ones contain an offset for beginning of each string. Immediately after that, there is the actual string data. So, in order to replace "LOCK" with "nextD", what you would have to do is go through offset of EACH string following the one that you edited and increment the offset by 1. This is not something that I would recomend doing by hand.

My solution for manual unlocking is simplier. I find the CTNR chunk that actually reffers to that string, and completely remove it. Then I only need to adjust the CTNR count in the MOIK and the appropriate TYPE chunks. I have not had the chance to test this yet, though.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Bladex

Post by Bladex » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:47 am

i have no idea how to do that

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:28 pm

You have to figure out the format and write your own tools. That's the only way.

Bladex

Post by Bladex » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:20 pm

K^2 wrote:You have to figure out the format and write your own tools. That's the only way.
nevermind i found a 100% save file. i have everything now :D

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:23 pm

Ok. So its not the only way. But there is hacking, and then there is downright cheating.

Bladex

Post by Bladex » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:33 pm

K^2 wrote:Ok. So its not the only way. But there is hacking, and then there is downright cheating.
well i bought game to play online and not bother about having to play through story mode. if it's cheating than so what.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:02 am

Others have worked hard to earn the right to use these customizations. I will let that be on your consciousness.

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:18 pm

Bladex wrote:
K^2 wrote:Ok. So its not the only way. But there is hacking, and then there is downright cheating.
well i bought game to play online and not bother about having to play through story mode. if it's cheating than so what.
I think you should give story mode a chance. There are a couple of missions in there that are quite different to regular play.

Bladex

Post by Bladex » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:45 pm

AndrewTaylor wrote:
Bladex wrote:
I think you should give story mode a chance. There are a couple of missions in there that are quite different to regular play.
i did than i changed my name and it erased my data. i can't be bothered playing again. there are some levels i really hate like tin can rally...and i don't really want to play them again.

Bladex

Post by Bladex » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:46 pm

K^2 wrote:I will let that be on your consciousness.
sorry i don't have 1 :twisted:

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:33 pm

Bladex wrote:
Your consience, then?

Bladex

Post by Bladex » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:57 pm

AndrewTaylor wrote:
Bladex wrote:
Your consience, then?
don't have 1 of them either LOL

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:59 pm

K^2 wrote:Others have worked hard to earn the right to use these customizations. I will let that be on your consciousness.
only because they wanted to do it.

there was nothing stopping them from looking around and trying to hack the game to get what they wanted

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:40 am

AndrewTaylor wrote:Your consience, then?
Sure, pick on my word usage.

Bladex

Post by Bladex » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:38 am

you can close/delete this thread now if you wish i'm done with it.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:12 pm

The game has been out for a long time. Everyone who cared enough probably has it beaten. I can throw together a simple unlocker tool for people to use. This way you can unlock whatever you want without loosing your team, records, etc. Yay or nay?