Superfrog Music!

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:03 pm

Fun? What about making a version of the game for a more up to date format like the DS? That would be useful as well as fun.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:37 pm

I could write code for DS just as easy, but how will you put it on the system? PSP is slightly more realistic. I could write a code that will run on hacked PSPs. Number of people who'd be able to run it would still be very limited. Realistically, the only way to make the game available to people is to have it run on an emulatable platform.

SNES might be a much better platform for it than NES, however. In fact, I'm not convinced that the game can be made to run on NES without cutting it down signifficantly.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:09 am

worMatty wrote:Fun? What about making a version of the game for a more up to date format like the DS? That would be useful as well as fun.
I think it'd be less accessible. People would have to have the necessary flashcarts and devices to get it on there (although I do plan on getting the stuff for that kinda soon anyways...). While getting someting onto a PSP is easier, I know less people who have psps... so I think that kind of balances out how easily people can get into a DS or PSP version. NES and SNES emulation would be a lot easier for people to do.

I'd be interested in seeing an NES version even if it had noticablly less to it, because then you might be forced to make things a little different and unique. An SNES version could wind up looking essentially the same as the original... I'm assuming that'd make it easier, but imo it'd be less interesting unless if totally different levels were made or something.
That's just splitting hairs though, if I see any remake of sorts I know i'll be into it.

Anywho, I know nothing about programming. :(
But if you have any questions about the NES I think this might be the place to check out-
http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/index.php
http://nesdev.parodius.com/

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:08 am

Pretty much, the only specs that I'm missing are for the sound. The links you posted might be of use for that. I'll take a better look later.

The main difference, if I recall correctly, is that NES only allows 4bit color, which means that all of the graphics will need to be carefully converted to make sure that they fit into a 16 color palette. SNES should allow for all of the graphics to be simply ported over. The second problem is the ammount of cart space acessible by NES. The DOS version of SF is just under 3MB. Most NES games are under .5MB, and that's with memory mapping. Without mapping, only 32KB are available. This is a huge cut, even with mappers. Again, with SNES, there should be no trouble simply porting the whole thing.

If the game graphics and sounds are simply ported, all that is left to do is to write the code that makes all objects behave the same way as they do in the original.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:31 pm

SNES is just a better system, really, isn't it?

Oh yeah, and as for the enemies, the enemy database on my site sort of describes how they move.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:20 pm

Animations and video would probably help best there, though.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:54 am

I can't figure out a setting for video output in winuae that looks nice, plays back at the right speed, and/or isn't legendarily huge in size. I'll try again some more this weekend, because if I can get clips of all the sprites doing what they do and get it up on youtube that would be nice.

You could always save state your way through the game if you wanted to see the whole thing, too.

Back on the subject of music, i've been taking forever but you can expect the next piece in just a couple days. Most likely on Thanksgiving or so. It is the world 6 music, with a bit of worlds 1 and 2 in there. There is also a small treat for anyone who happens to be into New Order (I was tempted to steal something from a song of theirs, so I did)!

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:37 pm

I'm thinking it might be easier to just run the DOS version of the game through a debugger and find the functions responsible for various monsters in the game. Then I can just port over the code.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:27 am

Managed to get it done today! I put it up on my band's myspace-
http://www.myspace.com/parasprinter
Should be available for download from there too, since streaming from myspace is sometimes choppy.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:06 am

Bump!
I just resumed working on the third and last medley. Took me long enough, but I never completely forgot about it. It may be a little while before it is finished, but when it is done I'll repost the first and second ones as well.

In the meantime, here is most of the world 3 music, which'll probably be somewhere in the middle-
http://download.yousendit.com/53CFFC2337E81365

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:47 pm

I'd wondered where you'd gone to!
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:26 pm

Alas, neither of those links work for me (well, I can get to your MySpace but there's no downloading of that file any more!).

Any chance of getting them back up somewhere, somehow, before I do another update?

Pooka
Staff Writer

Re: Superfrog Music!

Post by Pooka » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Might be nice to get some of the music from Superfrog HD somehow...

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Line in?

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:39 pm

Is what I'm thinking, yes.