Superfrog Music!

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:35 pm

I know this has already been said, but this truly is fantastic stuff, with a very retro feel. How many tracks have you used for it? It sounds like a lot, but then again, I could be mistaken.

I can't wait for the second part. Also like the fact that it doesn't just *start* with world 1 and go onwards.

Keep it up, dude.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:12 pm

Pooka wrote:How many tracks have you used for it? It sounds like a lot, but then again, I could be mistaken.
Ah yeah, I used six tracks, which one more track than the average NES game has. But there was some sort of sound expansion chip that was used in a couple japanese games that allowed for 8 tracks, (4 square, 1 triangle, 1 saw, noise, and samples). So what really pushes it is having 2+ things of noise or samples happening simultaneously. Otherwise, if I doubled up less drum hits and didn't use the more techno-sounding beats towards the end this should probably be able to be played through an NES.

Thanks for the encouragement! Second piece doesn't have much progress at all yet, but it'll happen.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:45 pm

I'm updating tomorrow (to coincide with the launch of RealVG), so I'll probably put your music up NEXT month's update, in a sort of 'having it all' way.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:08 am

Sounds good sir!

I have a couple bits and pieces of parts from other tunes started but i've gotten really busy with school, work, and band, so i'm not much further than I was at the end of august. Ack! Oh well, no need to rush.

In some googling around I found a couple things of interest. In the amiga section of remix 64 there are 3 superfrog mixes!
http://www.remix64.com/tune_178701.html
http://www.remix64.com/tune_29301.html
http://www.remix64.com/tune_29201.html

Coincidentally, a monthly chiptune contest was started by a friend on his net label megatwerp, right as I was finishing up my medley. I submitted it, but for its first month it had a pretty low turn out and I got second out second in the covers section. The entry that got first was very worthy though. And It was 23 to 17, so that's not too shabby.
http://megatwerp.com/doc/duel.php?month=2006-09
If something is going to win over superfrog, it is only fair that it is another c64/amiga game. :)

Bring back frog
THE ONLY ONE HERE

Post by Bring back frog » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:54 pm

great, some more ace music..
Thomas sutherland... soz i havent been on for ages be back soon.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:47 pm

Yeah, they're nice - but why does no one remix the Forest World music?
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:31 pm

PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:39 pm

Er...?

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:58 pm

It's Superfrog, had it have been released on the NES. I intend to d more screenies of this nature.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:30 pm

It would actually be fun to make a port of SuperFrog for the NES. The instruction set for the NES' 6502 CPU is very simple, so it's a breeze to program. You just have to keep a list of function offsets handy.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:12 pm

Tilesets are easily ripped from Amiga ADFs. Fancy giving it a go, K?

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:46 pm

I'm loving this stuff.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:45 pm

Squirminator2k wrote:Tilesets are easily ripped from Amiga ADFs. Fancy giving it a go, K?
Might. I have a DOS version of SF. Do you think the tile sets would be the same?

The levels and tilesets in DOS version seem to be very straight forward, so these should be easy enough to port. I'm not so sure about the rest of it, however. Might be tricky to get all of the objects to behave exactly the same way.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:48 pm

The tilesets are fairly similar. I reckon if you're up to the challenge, go for it. After all, someone's porting GTA3 to the NES, so why not give this a go? It'll be much simpler.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:24 pm

The problem is that I never got past the second level of the first world. It's hard to port something if you have never seen it. It's espetially true of all the enemy entities. I have no idea how they are supposed to behave.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:25 pm

There are always cheat codes. For, y'know, educational purposes.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:39 pm

Why bother porting it to the NES? It'll have worse graphics and sound.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:22 pm

Because it would be fun?

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:55 am

K^2 wrote:Because it would be fun?
Indeed!
Nice mockup squirminator. I'm very happy to see this. :D

If you gentlemen embark on a superfrog NES project, I could help supply nsf files.
I'm not experienced with famitracker, but for something like this i'd be sure to learn. The tunes would be more restricted than what i've been working on, but i'm confident I could put something nice together.
My ultra-brief experience with famitracker had me a bit confused with the system for saving "instruments" and how exactly messing with some of the values works like synthesis. Otherwise, the basic tracker format is the same so the biggest part would involve copying a lot of parts I already have down in my .it modules.

Here's a short little part i've got from the next piece-
http://download.yousendit.com/05FB18C04CAAE8D8
Don't mind the bad ending, that won't be there.
Squirminator2k wrote:but why does no one remix the Forest World music?
Oh there is a good and logical explanation. It's because... uh... Hey I think I forgot something in my car...
(cue sfx of peeling out)
8)

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:26 pm

I don't think I even know how NES's sound synthesizer works yet. I'll need to read up on that. I know a little bit about it's graphics chip, and I've written my own emulator for a 6502 CPU, so I know that piece of hardware in detail.