Superfrog Music!

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Pooka
Staff Writer

Superfrog Music!

Post by Pooka » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:18 pm

Next month's update to my Superfrog Site will have a musical flavour. I've been hard at work re-jigging the music I've got for Superfrog and I'm basically almost done.

Added will be:

* The entire soundtrack, remastered, in MP3 form
* The entire soundtrack, original, in MOD form

And now for the fan-projects...

* Superfrog MIDI Pack
* Superfrog Remastered!

I don't have many Superfrog MIDIs. I have Worlds 4, 5 and 6, and the Advert from Alien Breed. So what I need to complete this pack is:

- Title
- World 1
- World 2
- World 3
- World 5 (remade)
- Project F
- Gambling

Superfrog Remastered! is a new venture. It's basically Superfrog-inspired fan-music. At the moment it includes Eirik Vea's Mega-Mix, and two of my old compositions - World 6 orchestral music and Imperial Death March (World 4 Remix) - also remastered, all in MP3 form.

Here's the challenge, should anyone choose to accept it:

Make me some Superfrog MIDIs, and/or some MP3s for Superfrog Remastered!, and I'll say you're a very nice person on the Superfrog Site in next month's update.

Narcissism ahoy!
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:13 am

Now my keyboard is back in commission, I'll see if I can contribute to this.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:03 pm

I was going to suggest looking on http://www.vgmusic.com, but then I noticed the only MIDIs there are by you and P.P :P
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Paul.Power
He Rocketh So

Post by Paul.Power » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:22 am

SupSuper wrote:I was going to suggest looking on http://www.vgmusic.com, but then I noticed the only MIDIs there are by you and P.P :P
Heh.

Think my favourite bit of the World 5 tune is the third "verse" where, by changing the tune slightly and sticking in some backing chords, the entire dynamic of the song changes - and then, even better, Brimble slams it up another gear by changing the key. The chorus before it with its key change is damn good, too.
"Spam is the filling in the sandwich of forum life"

Here, have some Let's Plays: Advance Wars 2 | Advance Wars

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:48 pm

World 5 has the best music, basically. OK if I use your MIDI, PP?

Paul.Power
He Rocketh So

Post by Paul.Power » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:14 am

Pooka wrote:World 5 has the best music, basically. OK if I use your MIDI, PP?
Sure, no prob. Always nice to get some publicity :)
"Spam is the filling in the sandwich of forum life"

Here, have some Let's Plays: Advance Wars 2 | Advance Wars

Bring back frog
THE ONLY ONE HERE

the best music

Post by Bring back frog » Fri May 12, 2006 10:12 am

i think the best super-frog music is world 6 and project F. i can't get that tune out of my head.. do do do d d d d doo doo doo d d d d doo..
world 5 musics quite good aswell..
Thomas sutherland... soz i havent been on for ages be back soon.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:19 am

Bump!
I've recently been messing around with constructing music out of NES samples and I was in the mood for attempting some amiga covers. I put together a very literal arrangement of the World 4 music yesterday (minus some minor changes and tomfoolery in the drum work).
mp3
[link now down]

I can see you're looking for material on pretty much every world besides the one I happened to pick, but i'm calling the current mp3 a WIP at the moment anyways. Hopefully i'll find a way to incorporate it into a superfrog medley within the next couple weeks. That way I can tackle some more of the game music, and try to throw in some less strict arrangements.
When its complete i'll gladly share the mp3 and .it file. :) Awesome site, by the way. The mods are so very nice to have... nostalgia ftw.
Last edited by bucky o'hare on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:55 pm

Wow. Bucky - very nicely done. If they were ever going to release Superfrog on the NES or GameBoy Classic, that's what it would sound like.

I think the most important question is - can you do World 1? :D
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:08 pm

Thanks!
I'll see what I can do with world one. :)

I'm almost done with world five and did a small amount on greensleeves and the title screen, so i'll have to get those out of the way first.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:14 pm

That's amazing! Completely accurately recreating that sound in modern arrangement software with recorded, rather than synthesized samples, and you pull it off excellently. Well done.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:32 pm

He's right, this is GREAT! I really hope you get some more music out. I'm loving the NES feel.

I'm also recognising the 'Superfrog...' at the end. Did you perchance glean that from the early builds of the game, where he shouts his own name? Or just vocode it?

Also, basically, can I offer it up for people to download? (You knew I was gonna ask this, right?) AFAIK, Yousendit.com only works for, like, a week or something, so I can offer permanent hosting on s-f.co.uk, too. :wink:

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:16 pm

The "Superfrog" line is also featured in the retail-copy edition intro sequence.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:36 pm

Pooka, having it on your site would be very much appreciated! But I made some very minor changes and might put it into one long track with the rest of the game's music... So just sit tight for about two more weeks. 8)
If this doesn't near completion by the end of the month then i'll just scrap that idea and send whatever songs I have done as individuals then. I've made some good progress so far though, more is certainly on the way.

The "superrrfrawwg" sample came from the game intro. I used an emulator to get the sound. I have the disks still but setting up the amiga, and finding a way to sample would've been too much work.
That and the ribbit were the two non-nintendo sounds I used. I did come across a neat little program that can convert wav to dpcm, at apparantly the same quality a sample should sound on an NES, but trying to put those through sounded very horrible! :lol:
I guess because its such a low quality you have to be very careful about finding source material that won't sound like garbage when sampled on an NES. I might try and mess around with it more though.

Does the cd32 game, or whatever else there might be, have different intros?

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:46 am

I believe the CD32 version has the same intro. The "original" version of the intro sequence can be found here.

When I say "original", I mean with Schwartz' original timing, which team17 apparently mucked up.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:13 pm

Well, T17 only got the individual animation cells and put them together themselves, which is most likely the reason why they mucked it up.

Superbfrog! was made well after SF was released, but it's a much better version, imho. Schwartz' parodic ideas, such as the appearance of Sonic, were never actually meant to be included in the original animation. They were just ideas.

The PC version doesn't have an intro. It doesn't even have an exclusive manual.

If you're doing one long track, that'd be perfect for Superfrog Remastered! and I'd be pleased to host it for you. Let me know how this is going.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:01 am

Squirminator2k wrote:I believe the CD32 version has the same intro. The "original" version of the intro sequence can be found here.

When I say "original", I mean with Schwartz' original timing, which team17 apparently mucked up.
Lol, that's funny. I liked the MARKETING! bit.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:08 am

Hahah, wow, that alternate intro is great.

With what I came up with so far I realized making all the tunes into one long track was more difficult than I was hoping, so instead i'll do this in 2 or 3 parts.
First part is finally done!
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... D604AA0B24

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:12 pm

Egads man, that's fantastic stuff. It almost sounds as if Superfrog belonged on the NES. Keep it up!

Bring back frog
THE ONLY ONE HERE

wow

Post by Bring back frog » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:45 am

wow this is great, well done bucky

i can't see how you can come up with such great music,
i tryed makeing superfrog music once but it turned out crap
am glad they are people that are good at makeing music.
Thomas sutherland... soz i havent been on for ages be back soon.