Superfrog Exact Remake

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

volkan

Superfrog Exact Remake

Post by volkan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:56 pm

I have been dreaming to develop a high quality Superfrog remake, and this week I started this project. The web page of this project will be http://superfrog.sourceforge.net
I got the tilesets of CD32 version of Superfrog using Froggy, and I created level maps. I downloaded the Sprites from Pooka's Superfrog site. I also have Superfrog remix xm file from Pooka's site, it can be used on demo mode. All the comments, commitments and recommendations are welcome.
I need all the sprites of Superfrog (either from CD32 version or from PS3 version's classic levels). Please help me to obtain all the sprites.
Sprites also were ripped, so are not needed anymore. Just beginning and end animations in ANIM format are needed (with sound and music).

By the way, some of the features of this remake are:
* It will be exact or higher quality remake
* It will be completely open-source (even the Gimp xcf files will be shared)
* It will be multi-platform, and will be written in C++ (it will be able to be compiled for all the platforms).

Pooka, as I wrote, I need your help. You are the primary contributor of this project. Can you please create a web page for this project?
Last edited by volkan on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

volkan

Re: Superfrog Exact Remake

Post by volkan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:56 pm

By the way, I read a story about Superfrog animation 5 years ago. Original Superfrog animation was a little different in terms of some timings. If the original Superfrog animation can be found, I can add that version as a menu choice.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:20 am

Be prepared for Team17 to ask you to stop.

volkan

Post by volkan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:13 am

Why? There are some other remakes, and this is a fan stuff :)

Akuryou13
Settled in

Post by Akuryou13 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 am

volkan wrote:Why? There are some other remakes, and this is a fan stuff :)
Because remaking a game exactly as it was originally and releasing that is generally something companies don't want you to do. Particularly now when Team17 is releasing their own remake of superfrog.

volkan

Post by volkan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:30 am

If I continue to work on this project on my free times, can it be acceptable to release this project 5 years later?

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Akuryou13 wrote:
volkan wrote:Why? There are some other remakes, and this is a fan stuff :)
Because remaking a game exactly as it was originally and releasing that is generally something companies don't want you to do. Particularly now when Team17 is releasing their own remake of superfrog.
There are many open-source remakes that get away with it fine, but they make sure to not release any copyrighted content such as the original sprites, music, etc. You'd have to make your own or get people to rip it themselves.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

volkan

Post by volkan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:55 pm

So, I can continue to the development. The sprites, etc will be read from the files, and the files will not be distributed with the game. I can also prepare alternative sprites after the development finishes.

Thanks SupSuper.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:15 pm

volkan wrote:I need all the sprites of Superfrog (either from CD32 version or from PS3 version's classic levels). Please help me to obtain all the sprites.
The classic levels from the PS3's Superfrog HD don't use the original sprites. They're reskinned with the new version's sprites (which jars quite badly with the original design, as I noted here). So we'd need sprites from the CD32 version (or the Amiga or PS3 versions; Rico told me they were all the same once).
volkan wrote:Pooka, as I wrote, I need your help. You are the primary contributor of this project. Can you please create a web page for this project?
Yes, of course I can. However, as I said in my e-mail to you, I could also link to your Sourceforge page... :P
Akuryou13 wrote:Because remaking a game exactly as it was originally and releasing that is generally something companies don't want you to do. Particularly now when Team17 is releasing their own remake of superfrog.
I don't think it'll be too much of a problem now that Superfrog HD has been released and hasn't had that much media attention. Perhaps this game could make entirely new levels? Then it wouldn't be so much of a bother to Team17 and give gamers something new to play!

But anyway, yeah, if anyone has (or could rip?) sprites or tilesets from:
  • World 4
    World 5
    World 6
    Project-F
    Final Battle
...that would be good. Because I think that's what Volkan needs here.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

volkan

Post by volkan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:42 pm

I also found the original version of Superfrog animation from Pooka's old post on Dream17. Its address is http://www.randelshofer.ch/animations/a ... nimVE.html

I have sprites (of course from Pooka's site) of forest, castle, circus and ancient levels (are these from CD32 version? CD32 version is very important.). I also ripped all the tilesets using froggy with CD32 version of Superfrog, and generated all the levelmaps in xml format.

As Pooka said, I only need sprites from World 5, World 6, Project F and Final Battle. If my sprites are not CD32 version, it would be better to have all the sprites of CD32 version. All the other resources are ready, so I will start coding engine soon.

Pooka, thank you very much for your support. Can you please create the web page for "Superfrog Classic - Exact HQ Remake", and mention that we need all the sprites of CD32 version of Superfrog in bmp or equivalent lossless (maybe amiga iff) format?

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:53 pm

volkan wrote:I also found the original version of Superfrog animation from Pooka's old post on Dream17. Its address is http://www.randelshofer.ch/animations/a ... nimVE.html
That's not the original version - that's "Superbfrog!", a parody version! The actual version is here.
volkan wrote:Pooka, thank you very much for your support. Can you please create the web page for "Superfrog Classic - Exact HQ Remake", and mention that we need all the sprites of CD32 version of Superfrog in bmp or equivalent lossless (maybe amiga iff) format?
Er, yeah. I'll do that next time I update.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

volkan

Post by volkan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:00 pm

Our remake can optionally have both animations selectable on settings screen :)

By the way, it would be very excellent to have CD32 version of the animation in ANIM format. Can you please also mention that this animation and ending animation should be ripped in ANIM or in its original format?

Of course this is not very important to have, but it is a nice-to-have thing :) At the worst case, flash or equivalent version can be added as animation.

volkan

Post by volkan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Some pictures for Superfrog Remake

Title Screen
SuperfrogHQTitleScreen.png
SuperfrogHQTitleScreen.png (281.14 KiB) Viewed 31635 times
Scoreboard
SuperfrogHQCreditsBackground.png
SuperfrogHQCreditsBackground.png (568.92 KiB) Viewed 31635 times

volkan

Post by volkan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:13 pm

I found Dennis "EXL" Meuwissen's web site, whose address is http://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/index.php, and I wrote an e-mail to get help to obtain Superfrog sprites using Froggy.

In fact, Froggy is able to obtain all the sprites, but I couldn't make Froggy show them in correct colors.

volkan

Post by volkan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:47 am

Dennis answered my mail, and now I have all the sprites.
The only thing I need are beginning and finish animations in their original format. Of course these animations are nice to have, so it would be better to rip these animations, but flash animations can be used if these animations cannot be ripped.

I will upload all the resources and source codes to the project page after then the first level is able to run.