The Incredibly Exciting Zero Talks About His Job Thread

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Zeor
Senior

The Incredibly Exciting Zero Talks About His Job Thread

Post by Zeor » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:44 am

Ah yes, a 10-hour night shift. Who wouldn't be pleased?

Right now, my body is beaten, but my mind is still careening at full tilt like my car hypothetically would, now that it's ruptured its brake line, which is why I'm still sitting up at 3:35 AM. Well, that and I only got here like 10 minutes ago. 5 to 3.

It got pretty hot and heavy in certain places, but rather than really kill me like I expected, it was actually somewhat invigorating in a weird sort of way. It was an interesting challenge, of sorts. Wow, now I'm really worried for my own mental health. I worked my ass off today, and almost came close to enjoying it. That reminds me, I'd better invest in some ass glue, because I'll be working my ass off again for the next three days. Yeah, 4 days a week, to make up for the 10-hour ass-off-workings.

I guess I should mention what my job actually is now. I'm not exactly sure what my title is. I do all kinds of stuff. Today, being my first day, I was assigned mainly to the relatively easy task of boxing up the packaged crackers/pretzels as they come off the rather sophisticated assembly equipment, or whatever equipment. In addition to that, I did a lot of floor sweeping, stacking boxes, and just general grunt work and stuff.

And you know what? I prefer general grunt work and stuff to calling grumpy business people to push free magazines on them, or answering retarded questions and running around until at least one of my legs falls off at Toys R Us.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:05 am

Heh sounds alright to me. I worked for temp agencies for a few years doing loads of different jobs but mostly warehouse work like that. I just prefer to be up and moving around like I was there rather than sitting in front of a PC all day (one reason I don't like doing pixel art for money)

Run
Fan of Excellence

Post by Run » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:40 pm

I got a summer job at the local gas station (gotta pay for next years uni rent somehow). It's been alright so far, though the paperwork is stupid. I could have gone back to my newsagents job, but after three years working there while in school, it become mind-rottingly boring.

The gas station is oh so much simpler, though. Back in the newsagents, working out how much I was getting paid was ridiculous. It was 4.85 per hour until 6.15pm when it went up to 5.20 per hour, or 5.15 per hour from 6am to 8.15am. Stupid.

In the gas station, it's 5.00 per hour, all the time. No fuss there.
Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law"

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:23 pm

Glad to hear about the job, Zeor. I can't talk about my job because I'm here now, working. Fun!
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:16 pm

Woke up at noon today, still not completely what they like to call "with it," and... borf, I guess.

Manager says today will be easier, though.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:05 am

I am starting to understand the purpose of higher education. I'm currently on US government's payroll, writing some software for scientific 3D visualisation. Compared to what I hear from people about jobs at gas stations, convinience stores, fast food places, etc, this is a lot nicer, work is actually fun, more flexible schedule, and the pay is slightly better too. Years and years of school work are finally starting to pay off.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:27 am

Well lah-dee-dah.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:12 am

K^2 wrote:I am starting to understand the purpose of higher education. I'm currently on US government's payroll, writing some software for scientific 3D visualisation. Compared to what I hear from people about jobs at gas stations, convinience stores, fast food places, etc, this is a lot nicer, work is actually fun, more flexible schedule, and the pay is slightly better too. Years and years of school work are finally starting to pay off.
Thank you. If you need me, I'll be off looking for a discreet place to die.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:36 am

May I recommend the table in my living room? It's where I usually go.

Run
Fan of Excellence

Post by Run » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:50 pm

K^2 wrote:I am starting to understand the purpose of higher education. I'm currently on US government's payroll, writing some software for scientific 3D visualisation. Compared to what I hear from people about jobs at gas stations, convinience stores, fast food places, etc, this is a lot nicer, work is actually fun, more flexible schedule, and the pay is slightly better too. Years and years of school work are finally starting to pay off.
Slightly better? I'd have thought the salary would be sky-high.
Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law"

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:24 pm

I woke up at about 1 PM today, which leaves me about 3 and a half hours or so to stay home and off my still-sore legs before I have to go back and spend another 10 hours at work. Whee.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:31 am

Run wrote:Slightly better? I'd have thought the salary would be sky-high.
Well, because technically I still don't have a degree, even though I have all of the credits that I need for Bachelor of Science, I am being somewhat underpayed for the kind of work that I do. I think it comes down to about 9.50/hour, while fast food restaraunts in this city pay 6.00-7.50/hour. On the other hand, there are a whole bunch of additionaly benefits. First of all, the sallary is written off as "Student Aid", so unless they change the tax law, I don't think I have to pay taxes from it. Also, there are a bunch of free lectures and social events that I get to attend.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:44 pm

At my work they are asking people to do double shifts with no extra pay - that's 9:30am - 2am. Oh, and naturally they expect you to be in at 9:30am the next day.

Of course, I declined.
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Run
Fan of Excellence

Post by Run » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:52 pm

Vader wrote:At my work they are asking people to do double shifts with no extra pay - that's 9:30am - 2am. Oh, and naturally they expect you to be in at 9:30am the next day.

Of course, I declined.
Did anyone, anyone at all, accept?

OldSkoolCrazy

Post by OldSkoolCrazy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:34 am

Glad to hear you have a job Zero.
Vader wrote:At my work they are asking people to do double shifts with no extra pay - that's 9:30am - 2am. Oh, and naturally they expect you to be in at 9:30am the next day.

Of course, I declined.
Jesus! That's horrible. Don't they have laws against overtime with no extra pay!?
Best Turnbased: Worms (whole series)
Best FPS: Half-Life (whole series)
Best 3rd Person Shooter: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Best Adventure: Uru: Ages Beyond Myst
Best RTS: Startcraft
Best Simulation: The Sims 2
Best RPG: Guild Wars

Run
Fan of Excellence

Post by Run » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:46 am

OldSkoolCrazy wrote:Jesus! That's horrible. Don't they have laws against overtime with no extra pay!?
Even if they did, they can probabaly contract themselves out of it. But I doubt they do: EA is notorious for explotation.

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:11 am

Of course, I declined.
According to Maths and Physiology that's physically impossible. 16.5 hours work + 1 hour travel + 8 hours sleep + 1 hour for eating and prepating meals = 26.5 hours > 1 day.

This is why so many of their games are shit. They can't do maths.

Blinx

Post by Blinx » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:31 pm

I have no job.

mwhahaha
"I never think of the future - it comes soon enough." - Albert Einstein

Ben and Liam eat incontinent fish.

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:32 pm

AndrewTaylor wrote:According to Maths and Physiology that's physically impossible. 16.5 hours work + 1 hour travel + 8 hours sleep + 1 hour for eating and prepating meals = 26.5 hours > 1 day.

This is why so many of their games are shit. They can't do maths.
That's why so many of who's games are shit? I don't work for EA :?

ANyway, it does require some recalibrating of daily time allowances. More specifically you only get 5 hours sleep.

And yes, lots of people accept. They get to play computer games for money rather than going back to their houses and watching tv... I know I'd do it if I didn't have better things to do
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Run
Fan of Excellence

Post by Run » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:15 pm

Vader wrote:And yes, lots of people accept. They get to play computer games for money
But didn't you say overtime with no pay?